Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hot Glue, Felt, and Power Tools. Oh, My!


Hot glue is an essential to living.

I am not a pin mom. I think many ideas are very cool, but if they go beyond hot glue, I’m pretty sure I won’t do it. I’m married to a very wonderful husband and yep, you guessed it, I’m a mom. A mom to 2 very adorable 3-year-old boy/girl twins, E and K. Which makes them fraternal, not identical. I am also best friends with the other blogger. We’ve been friends for…20ish years. We had a sabbatical during college, but alas she saw the errors of her ways J and we quickly picked up where we left off. We are at the point when I was in recently in the ER, my husband said, “I told her everything, but I didn’t know what you wanted me to tell your mother.”
I too, was once a stay at home mom, very unexpectedly. I was a teacher in one state for 3 years. The year before I was to get to tenure status I was pink slipped. Go me! I stayed home with my then 7 month old twins. And no, it’s not like having 2 or 3 kids. There’s no comparison. I loved staying at home, was I blessed with staying home? YES! Would I do it again? Ummmmm, yes? Did I sometimes feel like I was the single worst mother alive? Oh, I had my moments.
I love to do crafty things as long as they don’t take a lot of time. Which means any type of craft that takes a long time, like those insane books people decorate and then put pictures in, scrapbooks! Ha, I’d never do that. I’m saying it takes patience and talent, which I have neither of. The things I like to do require either 1) hot glue, 2) felt, or 3) power tools.
Last Christmas I made a felt Christmas tree with ornaments for the twins, which okay, there was some heat and bond in there. Felt! Yay!
This past summer, I bought a $7 dresser at a garage sale (BTW, I love garage sales), on sale drawer pulls, sanded (power tools!), & repainted it a wonderful gray color. It is now some much-needed storage for my way too small kitchen.
For this Christmas, I decided I should probably figure out whose stocking belongs to who. So I let the twins pick and then used felt, heat and bond, then stitched, yes stitched the letters on. Very cute!!! I also wanted a wreath, those wonderful Christmas ball wreaths that are way too expensive. So Dollar Tree here I come! I don’t know how many packs of Christmas balls I bought but the only color they had left was gold. I made myself a wreath. A pretty nice wreath and don’t worry, I used hot glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment