Saturday, November 24, 2012

An Old Couch, Some Sheets, and a Few Bottles of Beer Part II

For the couch-covering project, I needed three flat sheets. Or rather, assumed I needed. Which would be great if I had actually bought three flat sheets. What I actually bought were two flat sheets and one fitted sheet. Son of a bitch.

I needed a beer.

Okay, at this point I'm going to skip ahead about a million steps because I am about to throw this motherfucking couch out the window. I ended up cutting the elastic off the fitted sheet. I was going to take a picture of this step and the rest of this process, but when I went to turn the camera on, the battery was dead. I had to rearrange the cushions and sheets in about a million different ways to get everything to "fit" right. My husband said he imagined a game of Tetris going on in my head, and the screen was filling up fast.

I did some hemming of some bottom pieces. Of course, this didn't go as easily as everyone else makes it seem like it should. And of course my bobbin ran out of thread. And didn't wind correctly so I ended up have to pull all the thread off the bobbin and rewind it. And of course it didn't wind correctly the second or third times. I ended up with a lot of thread at the bottom of the bobbin and not much at the top. Whatever.

Eventually I got the sheets on. I did a lot of tucking, retucking, pinning, and swearing. It didn't look spectacular and looked like I had covered my couch in sheets, but it did look marginally better than what was underneath. And then my husband said six words I will never forget: "Are those sheets two different colors?"

It was like time stood still. I looked at the couch. I looked at my husband. I looked at the couch again. Yep, one of the sheets is a slightly lighter shade of grey than the other two. Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. More beer. The next day was Thanksgiving, and the day after that the dreaded Black Friday. No way in hell was I going to WalMart on Black Friday (good thing, too because it turns out a woman went complete batshit crazy at that WalMart and attacked a police officer on Black Friday).

I didn't care anymore. I had been defeated by a DIY project yet again. Le sigh. Really, you just kind of get used to it.

Maybe I could just get some fabric to re-cover the throw pillows. Ha, yeah....


No comments:

Post a Comment